Discover Cork: Schools’ Heritage Project 2018
Results, County Edition
Junior Primary Group:
- Cuan O’Sullivan, Noirín Murphy, Jamie O’Callaghan, Alannah Kynastan, Johnny Timmy Johnny’s Shop, Inchigeela NS, Inchigeela (teacher: M Lucey)
Junior Primary Class:
- Fourth class, A Glance at Stone Age to Early Christian West Cork, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: A M O’Keeffe)
- Third and fourth class, Coomhola, My Favourite Area, Coomhola NS, Bantry (teacher: T Farley)
- Fourth and fifth class, Macroom Castle, St Joseph’s NS, Macroom (teacher: H O’Callaghan)
- Fourth and fifth class, Ballinora The Past in our Present, Ballinora NS, Ballinora (teacher: C. O’Hara)
Senior Primary Individual:
- Seán Murphy, Fastnet Lighthouse, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Darragh Gough, Cork GAA, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Callum O’Sullivan, West Cork Model Railway Villlage, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Charlie Winkelman, Camino de Santiago, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Adam O’Connor, The Capital, Cork, Scoil Naisiúnta Naoimh Micheal, Upper Glanmire (teacher: S Scanlon)
Senior Primary Group:
- Seán Lucey, Sheana Murphy, Leah Twomey, Shaun Barnes, Farming in our Area, Inchigeela NS (Teacher: M Lucey)
- James O’Donovan, Conor O’Donovan, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Ciara, Evie, Katelyn, Erin, History of Ardfield and Rathbarry, Ardfield NS, Clonakilty (teacher: F Nagle)
- Ann Lucey, Lucy Murray, Róisín Doyle, Katie Bubl-Murphy, Changing face of Fashion, Inchigeela NS, Inchigeela, Inchigeela (teacher: M Lucey)
- Kate Manley, Sophie McCabe, English Market, Scoil Naisiúnta Naoimh Micheal, Upper Glanmire (teacher: S Scanlon)
Senior Primary Class Project:
- Fifth and sixth class, The Moving Graveyard of Matehy, Vicarstown NS, Blarney (teacher: A O’Shaughnessy)
- Sixth class, Timoleague Castle, Timoleague NS, Timoleague (teacher: M Downey)
- Fifth and sixth class, The Great Famine in Cork, Kilcoe NS, Kilcoe, Skibbereen (teacher: T O’Donovan)
- Fifth class, The History of our Village, Kilworth, Scoil Mhairtín, Kilworth (teacher: L O’Reilly)
- Fifth class, The History of the Kilworth Ranges, 1845-2017 Scoil Mhairtín, Kilworth (teacher: H Leddy)
Best Fieldwork Project
3rd to sixth class, Archaeology in Our Area, Kicrohane NS (teacher: B Whooley)
Best Film Project
Rang a 5, Gaelscoil Chionn tSáile, Cath Chionn tSáile agus an Aimsir (teacher: N Ní Liathain)
Best Newcomer Project
Fifth Class, Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhaigh, Rushbrooke, Cobh, Commerce and Trade in Cork, Over 100 Years (teacher: N Hogan)
Best Building Project
Sixth class, Monard Glen and Iron Works, Cloghroe NS, Cloghroe (teacher: I Whitty)
Best Overall School Project
Third to sixth class, Our Local Area, Dromore, Dromore NS, (teacher: S Walsh)
- All results are final.
- The County award ceremony is on Thursday 1 March 2018, Silversprings Convention Centre, Cork City, 7pm.
- Update 28 February 208: Award Ceremonies postponed, due to ice and snow – new dates to be sent to teachers
- All students who entered the project are welcome to attend. All projects will be returned on the award ceremony evening. The ceremony is about 75 mins. Parents can attend. This event is generally attended by 400 people (participants, winners and their families).
- Arrive early enough to read the other projects, which will all be on display and set up models as appropriate.
- This is also an opportunity to present all models if a student so wishes.
- All projects can be and need to be taken away on this evening.
- Well done to all and many thanks for all the hard work!
Cllr Kieran McCarthy, 12 February 2018
This project is kindly funded by students and Cllr Kieran McCarthy. Additional prizes are provided by the Lifetime Lab, Lee Road (thanks to Mervyn Horgan, www.lifetimelab.ie), Learnit Lego Education, Sean Kelly of Lucky Meadows Equestrian Centre, Watergrasshill, www.seankellyhorse.com.