Heritage Hunt Trail B

McCarthy’s Heritage Hunt

Sunday 22 August 2010 for National Heritage Week

Aims and Results

 

Thanks for coming along and for your support.

The aim of the hunt is to ramble the streets and open your eyes to Cork’s buildings. You won’t have to walk far but you will have to open your eyes and look! One must collect all the dates in the 39 locations below. Use the accompanying map and clues. All of the numbers are clearly visible but accuracy is required to win the prize.

Important notes:

·         Each of the answers is a number varying between two and four numbers.

 

·         Place the answer in the box alongside the question.

 

·         When you get all the answers, add up the digit on the far right. For example, if the answers were 2000, 2002 and 2003, the winning answer would be- well o plus 2 plus 3 equaling 5.

 

·         Text the winning overall number with your name and address to my mobile                     087 655 33 89. The fastest and of course the participants with the overall number will win.

 

·         First prize is E.50 worth of gift vouchers for HMV.

 

·         Winners will be posted online on my website, www.corkheritage.ie under heritage trail as well as the answers on this Monday evening.

 Enjoy!

Kieran

 

Cllr. Kieran McCarthy

www.corkheritage.ie

www.kieranmccarthy.ie

 

 

 

 

 

Q. No.

Questions

Answer

1  

 

City Library:

At one time when Cork used to be made up of swampy islands, the Grand Parade was once a channel of water. What year according to the plaque on the library wall was the channel arched over. 1790-?

1

8

0

1

2

 

Berwick Fountain:

On the Grand Parade, Berwick Fountain is an unfinished monument to the memory of judge Walter Berwick. The water is supposed to be spouting out of the mouth of a small statue of a boy. What year was it built? (see base)

 

1

8

6

0

3

National Monument:

The National Monument was built in 1906 by the Cork Young Ireland Society to commemorate the various risings to British rule. On the River facing side between Dwyer and O’Neil Crowley, what is the date on the memorial?

1

8

4

8

4

World War 1 Memorial:

Built to commemorate the fallen soldiers of World War I, on the memorial what year did the world war I begin? (see memorial)

1

9

1

4

5

World War 1 Memorial:

On the Munster Fusilier side of the memorial (facing hut), “5646 Private E. Bermingham” was part of what batallion?

-

-

-

1

6

Corner of Grand Parade and South Mall:

On the corner of Grand Parade and South Mall, over O’Sullivan Estate, a plaque details the numbers on this side of the South Mall, 45-?

-

-

9

7

 7

Nano Nagle Bridge:

Nano Nagle is a very famous Cork woman. She founded the Presentation Sisters in 1775 and set up a school for the poor in the southside of Cork City, now Douglas Street area. Nano Nagle bridge is named after her but what year was the footbridge open? (see plaque facing National Monument)

 

1

9

8

5

8

Parliament Bridge:

One of the oldest bridges in the city, it has a typical arched design from the year it was opened. What year was it opened? (see plaque at centre of bridge)

1

8

0

6

9

George’s Quay:

Once the site of a Viking Age quay, some of the current buildings were built about 200 years ago. Callanan’s Pub is one such building which is tall and a high pitched gable. What no. Is the pub on the Quay?

 

-

-

2

4

10

White Street:

Opposite the entrance to the carpark and now the site of apartments; however it was once the site of a bowling green. What year is on the stone plaque?

1

7

7

3

11

South Chapel:

One of two principal chapels at one time in the city, the first was South Chapel and the second was the North Chapel (now the North Cathedral). The South Chapel has not changed since the time it was built. What year was it built? (see plaque by front door or facing the building on the left, halfway up the building on a stone plaque)

1

7

6

6

12

Entrance to Nano Nagle’s Complex, Douglas Street:

The site of Nano Nagle’s first school, the property was donated by the Presentation Sisters for social housing schemes and was officially opened by President Mary McAleese on 24 January 2002. How many social housing units were there?

-

-

2

1

13

Red Abbey:

Known to be the oldest building standing from Cork’s past, the tower is the remains of an enormous Augustinian abbey that stood on the site. It was founded in the late 1200s but how tall is the tower? (see history panel)

-

-

2

0

14

Red Abbey:

On the history panel on the right, a picture of grey marble altar is shown. What is the date on the centre of it?

1

6

4

8

15

Cove Street:

John Hogan, a famous sculptor lived on this street. He was originally from Tallow, Co. Waterford but trained in Cork and Rome as a sculptor. He was born in 1800, what year did he die?

1

8

5

8

16

St. Nicholas Church:

Built initially to honour the victory by the Normans over the Vikings in Cork in 1172, the present church is now the offices of the prison service How many spires does it have?

-

-

-

1

17

Cove Street:

The Christian Fellowship is opposite the gates to St. Nicholas Church. What time is the “breaking bread” on a Sunday morning?

-

-

1

1

18

Cove Street:

Gael-taca, an Irish body celebrating the Irish language is located on the street. Their phone number is 021431????

 

 

 

 

0

8

4

1

           

 19

South Gate Bridge:

One of the oldest bridges in the city, the present bridge was built to replace a drawbridge that gave access to the walled town of Cork. What year was the present arched bridge opened? (early eighteenth century, see plaques)

 

1

7

1

3

 20

Elizabeth Fort: 

Climb Barrack Street. Elizabeth Fort once protected the city from attack but what year was it originally built? (see plaque at entrance)

 

1

6

2

6

 21

Elizabeth Fort: Bastions were protective points in any fort that gave a fort a view of the base of the fort, which was important in case of attack, how many bastions has Elizabeth Fort?

 

-

-

-

5

 22

Barrack Street:  The building presently occupied by Londis was opened in what year?

 

1

7

0

2

           

23

Elizabeth Fort:

The Gateway Lodge was originally built in 1704 but what year was it rebuilt?

1

9

9

7

 24

Realt Dearg Pub: The Realt Dearg pub is supposed to be the oldest licensed premises in the country but what year did the English Duke of Marlborough drink here?

 

1

6

9

8

           

25

Elizabeth Fort:

By the entrance to the fort is a  post box from the reign of Edward VII (ER VII) and stamped SE (Saorstat Eireann meaning Free State Ireland). What is the last time for posting?

-

4

3

0

           

26

Elizabeth Fort:

General Daniel Florence O’Leary (1801-?) was born in 89/90 Barrack Street. He became Aide-de-Camp to the liberator Simon Bolivar. What year did he die? (see plaque on city facing wall)

1

8

5

4

27

Elizabeth Fort:

Still having a kind of defensive function, Barrack Street Garda Station is housed in the fort. On the door of the station, what are the last four digits of the Garda Confidential Line (18066????)

6

1

1

1

 28

Keyser’s Hill: Walk down Keyser’s Hill, which is an old Viking lane from 900 years ago. Keyser means the path leading to the quayside. What number is on the name plate Keyser’s Hill adjoining Frenches Quay?

 

-

-

-

1

29

Bishop Street:

Formerly the warehouses of Beamish and Crawford, what year were these elaborate buildings constructed? (see gable end of buildings)

 

1

9

0

2

 30

St. Finbarre’s Cathedral:

How many spires has the Cathedral? 

-

-

-

3

 31

St. Finbarre’s Cathedral:

At the main entrance gates to the Cathedral, on the left pillar a date is given which tells us that this Cathedral is not the only church to be on the spot. What is the date on the pillar? 

1

7

6

5

32

St. Finbarre’s Cathedral:

The early Christian Monastery founded by St. Finbarre way back around 600 A.D. How many years ago is 600 A.D.?

 

1

4

1

0

33

 

Double back to Crosses Green:

In the early 1990s, new apartments were planned for Crosses Green. However, an archaeological investigation revealed the remains of a Dominican Abbey founded in the early 1200s. On the archaeological excavations history panel (third one from left), the Raeren jug from Germany dates from what century?

 

-

-

1

6

 34

Crosses Green:

 On the archaeological excavations history panel (fifth one from left, third paragraph), how many skeletons were found?

-

8

0

0

 35

Clarke’s Bridge: 

Clarkes Bridge is one of the oldest bridges in the city. What year was it built?

1

7

7

6

36

 

Hanover Street:

 On Hanover Street, the gable end of the wall of Reardons, has what year?

1

8

8

3

37

 

Hanover Street:

 On Hanover Street, what year was Sless & Co. Carpet People founded?

1

9

5

9

38

 

South Main Street: 

At the gates to Beamish and Crawford, “the master brewers” were founded in what year?

1

7

9

2

 39

 Tuckey Street:

The street was widened in what year? (see next to door of Tribes Cafe)

1

7

6

1

 

 

 Well done!!!

 

 

Total Score – add the fourth row up! Now text your name, surname, address and answer to Kieran @087 655 33 89, best of luck!

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

 

 

 

 

 

 

 9

 

Winner: Angela Geary, Herons Wood, Carrigaline

 

Runners Up:

Lyons, Leamlara, Co. Cork

Wrights, Old Youghal Road

Comiskeys, Maryborough Hill, Cork

Kirkpatricks, St. Patrick’s Terrace, Cork

 

Heritage trail participants, 22 August 2010

Memorial Park, South Mall, Cork, 22 August 2010

Elizabeth Fort, heritage trail participants, 22 August 2010

Elizabeth Fort, Heritage trail participants, 22 August 2010

Elizabeth Fort, heritage trail participants, 22 August 2010

Barrack Street, The Coach House, heritage trail participants, 22 August 2010